Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Are you a "people pleaser"?

Are you a "people pleaser"?  I am.  and whether you want to admit it or not, you are too.  We can't help it:  we were born that way.  Still don't believe me?  you're in denial if you believe "i don't care what others think about me."  Read on...

I stumbled upon a Bible verse yesterday that has been on my mind, heart and soul.

Galations 2:19 NLT
For when I tried to keep the law, it condemned me. So I died to the law—I stopped trying to meet all its requirements—so that I might live for God.

I've read this verse before, but the more brief translation in King James Bible:

For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

I've never understood (or perhaps, stopped to ponder) what this verse really meant.  But, my life experiences have taught me to realize the powerful impact this verse carries out in our daily struggle. 

How many times have you "done the right thing"/followed the rules but still been punished?  We've all been blamed for someone elses' mistake, and our instant reaction is: "that's not fair!" 
Why are we so surprised that life isn't fair?  Or more specifically, this world, filled with humans, is not fair? 
Of course it's not.  The only *fair* judge is God, and until we realize this truth and seek only to accept his law, we'll be highly disappointed. 

There's certain steps I've begun to take in order to "die to the law", people's expectations, and focus on God's plan for my life:

1. BELIEVE: Realize that God's word, the Bible, is the only expectations I need to live by.
2. OBEDIENCE: This is the hardest part....actually "doing" what you "know you should be doing".  This won't happen overnight...believe me, I'm still "disobeying" (read: sinning), but at least I'm living within a law system that gives me infinite "2cd chances" (read: forgiveness). 
3. DISCIPLINE: set yourself up for success:  schedule daily communication, quiet time, whatever you call it, where you are praying to God and reading your Bible.  I'm the kind of person that over-commits and loves to "get things done".  I promise you: if there's nothing else on your daily tasks you actually "do", your quiet time with God is the ONLY thing that matters.
4. FORGIVENESS:  hey, God knows your not perfect, why don't you?  Allow yourself to forgive when you get off track so that you can keep growing in intimacy with Christ.  For example, how many times have you disappointed yourself, blown it, and given up on yourself?  Newsflash:  that's Satan, and you've just bought his BS.  Sorry, there's no other way of putting it and it ticks me off b/c I buy into his BS lies everyday.  It's not until the next Quiet Time (conversation with God) that yanks me back into focus. 
*Once again, I emphasize the importance of #3: discipline in the Bible and prayer to keep you in check. 

I promise you this:  if you do these 4 things daily, you will be free of living in the fear of dissappointing people that really don't matter.  Seriously.  It works.

No comments:

Post a Comment